Mustangs at Williams Square
Designed to be a place where people can sit and enjoy themselves, Williams Square in Las Colinas is a definite "people place" located in the heart of the Dallas/Fort Worth area.
Williams Square was designed to represent an abstract Texas landscape. The mustangs gallop across a watercourse that is 300 by 300 feet that represents the mustang's semi-arid potential home. Texas Pink and Bright Blaze granite accent the prairie atmosphere. It was sculpted in layers as would be found geologically in the prairies. The watercourse flows over the granite to create the effect of erosion over the stone to give the feeling of age to the artwork. The bottom of the watercourse is a black rock that reflects beautifully with the water called moonstone.
The widest point of the watercourse is 40 feet across and the narrowest is about 10 feet. It is 18 inches deep at its deepest point and can hold 1500 gallons of water that is re-circulated. There are pedestrian crossings along the watercourse, one at the lower end and two to the upper end.
Williams Square is named for Dan Call Williams and his wife Carolyn Carpenter Williams. The Mustangs at Las Colinas are the vision of Ben H. Carpenter who was at the time chairman and CEO of the Southland Financial Corporation. The plaza itself was designed by Jim Reeves of the SWA Group. The surrounding buildings were designed by Charles Bassett, a principal of Skidmore, Owens, Merrill, San Fancisco.